Saturday, January 9, 2010

Out of The Mouths of Babes

The "word" for the year is going well. After I made my choice on Sunday, I decided to share this little adventure with my kids. We were driving on the way home from church and I decided to backtrack and told them the whole story. I asked them if they wanted to think/pray about having a word that would capture what they hoped their journey with the Lord would be this year. As I was saying one more time, "You can think about it", they both chimed in that they had their word choice.

Bailey is 11 and in middle school. I asked her to go first. She's been growing and learning so much lately, and if you remember the time between leaving elementary and going into middle school, there are so many choices to make. I hate to say it out loud, but choices to leave behind childish things. It is a part of maturity as a young woman and a young believer. Bailey confidently declared her word to be "RESPONSE". She explained it to me that she wanted to respond the right way anytime that her parents or the Lord asks her to do anything. Those are her words not mine. I was beaming, I'm sure. This was a big day for Bailey. We talked so many more times this day about her word choice. We talked about her relationship with her brother, with God, with us. It was good and hard. Being stretched is just that, isn't it? By the time she went to bed last Sunday, all on her own, she had a new commitment to begin memorizing God's word and doing daily devotions by reading through Psalms this year. I just couldn't have asked for anything more. We talked together about how she would be tested, even when she wasn't expecting it; but as her mom and her sister in Christ, I am so proud of her. She is truly becoming a beautiful young woman, inside and out.

Brody told me his word choice right after his sister did. He chose "THINK". Of course, I had to ask the reasons behind his choice, and he confidently declared that he needed to slow down and think about everything. He went on to give examples about spelling words correctly, remembering to capitalize the first word of every sentence, to listening to others before he started talking. Mind you, he was officially still on Christmas break from school, so some of these examples were very interesting to me, but I loved each one. Brody is in the 4th grade this year and will be turning 10 years old in March. This is a very important year in elementary for him. He is learning to write in cursive, working on his writing skills, moving up in all of sporting leagues, etc. Up until this point, he has definitely been good with just getting by in school, but he recently seemed to come to the understanding that he has so much more to give. His dad and I saw the light bulb turn on in football last fall and we've just been waiting for that to happen in school. Our hope and prayer is his word for the year will be the beginning of just that - waking up to his full potential. He is such a bright and creative boy, full of life and never-ending energy. His positive attitude and sweet spirit seems to be contagious to all of his friends and acquaintances. And because of all of these precious things, he is often content with status quo. We're not trying to push him hard, but he's got some pretty big dreams for life, so we just want him to find the work ethic to match it. With the Lord in his life, there is no doubt that "all things are possible."

And that is where I leave the content of this post, in the hands of the Lord. Bailey and Brody do not belong to us. They are gifts from our Heavenly Father. He hold their futures and He knows the plans He has for their lives. God, help us be faithful servants with these two precious gifts from above. And produce in them your will where it concerns "RESPONSE" and "THINK" in 2010. Trusting You is the only way, the best way.

No comments:

Post a Comment