Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Don't Limit the Impossible

I've been noodling something all day long and I just have to share with you.  I am using the 5x5x5 Devotional Guide that our Pastor has suggested we all use to read the New Testament through this year.  It is so simple - 5 minutes a day, 5 times a week and it gives you 5 ways to dig deeper each day as you read.  Loving it!  And they didn't just start us in Matthew, but the Gospel of Mark.  The guide spreads the Gospels out throughout the year so that the life and words of Jesus are a part of the entire year.  Great idea!  So, we just finished Mark 10, but Mark chapter 9 has one of my very favorite miracles that Jesus performed.  I mean, every one of them is amazing, but this is so me!  A man brings his son to Jesus out of a huge crowd.  This child has been inhabited by an evil spirit, and in the presence of Jesus, this spirit throws the boy to the ground.  In front of everyone, his little body is writhing around; he's foaming at the mouth.  What a terrible scene!  Can you imagine the father at this moment?  He came because he was absolutely desperate for help!  He loves his child, but he is at the breaking point.  Maybe, just maybe this young Nazarene he's heard so much about can help him.  Maybe the news spreading through each town about his wonders and healings are true.  He's got to at least try.  He makes it through the throngs of people and just at the very sight of this man they called Jesus, his son has an absolute fit!  Jesus just looks down at this boy, who is not in control of his own body, then he asks the father, "How long has this been happening to him?"  The man begins to describe the agony that this child has been through since he was a young boy.  And then the man makes this statement...oh, my heart breaks for him, for his desperateness.  He says, "But if You can do anything, have compassion on us and help us."  He's got Jesus full attention now.  Jesus responds questioning, "If you can?"  Ouch.  Jesus got the doubt in his voice and his question.  Then Jesus says, "Anything is possible for the one who believes."  And as quick as I'm sure he could form the words, the father yelled out, "I do believe!  Help my unbelief!"

Let's just stop and ponder this for just a moment.  There must have been something in Jesus' voice or His deep, dark eyes that look through this father to his very core.
Jesus must have known, being fully God and fully man, that his dad was crying out in desperation.  He had no hope left but to call out for a miracle o his son's behalf.  But then, not knowing Jesus or His healing power, he asked his question with doubt.  Jesus had to make sure that he understood that the question wasn't IF Jesus could do it, but if the dad would believe it could be done!  He was looking at that face and there, he found the courage to in his soul to cry out his belief, and because of who he was standing in front of, he was honest enough to include his unbelief too.  And that was all that Jesus needed from this dad.  And the evil spirit fled so fast out of this boy upon that's father acknowledgement that Jesus had the power and his confession of his doubt.

So many times, because I have read this book and have heard these stories and have known Christ for over 30 years now, I find myself forgetting that Christ "can do all things."  He reminds the disciples in Mark 10:27, "With men it is impossible, but not with God; with God all things are possible."  Lord, I believe, forgive my unbelief.

There is a song that I love to sing in my secret place when I am alone, just me and Jesus.  It reminds me clearly that God has no limits.  He is only limited in my life because I put the limits on Him, and all because of my doubt.  Forgive me Father.  If you are reading my blog and you find yourself faced with doubt of something that seems impossible in your life, hear Jesus' sweet voice sing this song over you.  
It's called "Take the Limits Off":
Verse 1:  I'm not a man.  I cannot lie.  I know the plans for your life.  I'm asking you to dream again, believe again, and take the limits off of me.
Verse 2:  No, I'm not a man.  I cannot lie  I know the plans I have for you, they're my design.  So I'm asking you just to hope again, and trust again, and take the limits off of me.
Chorus:  All I'm asking is take the limits off.  Take the limits off.  Release me to accomplish what I promised you.  Take the limits off me.  Take the limits off.  Release me, Release me....
(Music and lyrics by Israel Houghton)
Let's watch the Lord be unlimited in our lives this year!     

No comments:

Post a Comment