Monday, January 26, 2009

Proven Peter & An Old Sturdy Tree

I told you my pastor is teaching through the book of James.  I love this book.  When I was a Junior in high school, my youth pastor/Bible teacher, Larry Ray, spent an entire semester teaching and leading us through the book of James.  It was so awesome to learn at that young age all the wisdom that James had to offer.  Ever since then, it has been my favorite book of the Bible.  I think of it as my Christian mirror.  I found myself feeling led by the Spirit to do my own study of James just last year.  I was in it so long.  There were verses that the Lord just wouldn't let me get past until I picked up that spiritual mirror and did not turn away until I had come to grips or should I say surrender of what needed to be fixed in my life.  So, now, my Pastor is walking us verse by verse through this wonderfully challenging book. All in the name of STORMS!  Yes, I did say challenging, didn't I.
So yesterday we had a great sermon about facing the storm of finances.  Awesome sermon.  But the Holy Spirit had my mind rolling on a particular example that Bro. John used in his sermon.  He was talking from James 1:12, "Blessed is the man who perseveres under trial, because when he has stood the test, he will receive the crown of life that God has promised to those who love Him."    Great passage.  The example was the disciples.  After a long day of feeding the hungry crowd by a huge miracle, Jesus was tired and he put the disciples in a boat and told them to head across the Sea of Galilee and he'd meet them over there.  I'm sure they were thinking, he's be rowing across like there were, but we know better.  But, let's not jump ahead, shall we.  We might miss something good.  So, here the disciples are, rowing, rowing, rowing their boat, gently across the sea, when low and behold a huge storm blows up.  This time, they do not have their teacher with them.  And, of course, they choose chaos and panic, instead of calm and peace (see Saturday's blog post).  What do they do?  They are surely going to die.  And this was Jesus's idea!  He sent them over.  He told them to get in this boat!  WHY?  To test their faith.  Now, this is a great story.  They are all panicked and what do they see out ahead in this tumultuous sea?  A white figure heading their way.  Peter, he is the first to realize.  It is Jesus.  He asks, can I come to you Lord?  And since this is a faith testing exercise, Jesus says yes.  Oh, I do love Peter!  He just steps out, heading toward the one who is standing out there just looking at them.  But then the waves, which didn't fall in calm peacefulness like the last time they were in a storm with Jesus, they are hitting up against his thighs.  He realizes his garment is soaked.  He starts to look around and sees that this isn't normal and takes his eyes off the Lord.  And immediately, he sinks.  Can you imagine this with me?  How fast do you think Peter's mind was racing?  A mile a minute?  Yes, and do you think that he actually gulped up some Galilee in his lungs before Jesus reached and snatched him up? Then the Lord reminds Peter that he must act in faith.  His question, "Why did you doubt, Peter?"
Let me sum this up for you.  I was learning 2 lessons while my mind was noodling over another storm for the disciples - another testing of their faith.  Why?  Why this exercise?  And they had an advantage over us.  They could see, feel, hear Jesus.  They lived in the moment with this God-man.  James says "when he has stood the test".  Jesus put his 12 in the boat and then sent them a test.  But he didn't leave them in it alone.  He came walking out on that water to them.  He even let Peter leave the boat.  And even when Peter chose doubt over faith, thanks to his chaotic surroundings, Jesus didn't leave him.  He reached out, saved him and then reminded him of the lesson before him. TESTS OF FAITH.  That is why the storms are allowed or even sent our way.  To test us.  To prove us.  This is where I began to think about the tree.
Do you know how a tree becomes an old and sturdy tree...it survives storms and bad weather. Every time a tree is tested against the wind or a storm, it must reach its roots deeper into the earth to hold on through the test.  A dead tree, one not connected to its water source (ohhh, that would preach) will be uprooted in a storm every time.  But a strong, healthy tree, one with great, deep roots, will stand against the storm.  It will provide shelter for the birds of the air.  It will provide shade for little children playing in the yard.  Over time and tests, it becomes proven.  And then comes that promise in James 1:12, "the crown of life."  I know that is our ultimate goal.  When we stand, persevere against these storms - practicing, proving our faith - we find the promise of the God who loves us - the crown of life.  Worth it?  Absolutely!  And you know, Peter might have sunk in the sea, but he was the only one willing to step out of that boat. That lesson of doubt verses faith was personal for him.  He wasn't an onlooker, it was him who was holding Jesus's hand out on that wave-tossed sea.  And I bet that gulp of Galilee was there as a reminder for a while.  Personal Proving!  Jesus built His church upon that Rock named Peter.  What is Jesus trying to prove in your personal storm?  Keep your eyes fixed on the One who brought this storm your way, and who is standing right in the middle of the Galilee with you.  Look through the waves and the water.  He is there.  He's always there.  

No comments:

Post a Comment